[TenTec] OMNI 546 cabinet covering

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI 546 cabinet covering
From: Wa4aos@aol.com (Wa4aos@aol.com)
Date: Sun Aug 3 19:38:47 2003
Hi Don,

I haven't checked in a year or two but the self adhesive vinyl paper was
available at K-Mart in my area a few years ago and it was fairly cheap. You
might
try Wall Mart, or some of the Automotive parts places...

I was advised by another Ham to get the panels very warm by leaving them out
on a hot sunny day or to heat them up with a hair dryer. This apparently helps
the paper to adhere without bubbling. I peeled the old vinyl off as best I
could and then using WD 40, I was able to get all of the old material off. Next
I cleaned the panels with Acetone. One note; Clean with Acetone outside and
use rubber gloves. Acetone is available at most hardware stores but you really
need to be careful with this stuff. If you start getting a light headache GET
AWAY ASAP ! ! !
I had my best results using a heat gun and letting everything cool before
trimming the excess.

You can really make an Omni A, C or D really shine with a new skin. These are
great radios and I prefer using mine for CW rag chewing over either my
Corsair II's or Omni 6 +.

Although the big bad Orion is the uncontested bad boy for contesting and weak
signal DXing, the other 95% of the time my Omni C is providing me with hours
of Ham Radio FUN ! ! ! !

73,
Glenn WA4AOS