[TenTec] Re: K2/ORION/746PRO

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: K2/ORION/746PRO
From: w5yr@att.net (George, W5YR)
Date: Tue Aug 5 00:18:37 2003
Good summary and statement of viewpoint, John.

Having used an IF DSP radio since I bought the Doug Smith designed Kachina
505 DSP in 1998, and progressing through the Icom 756PRO, PRO2 and now
adding the 746PRO, I have learned first-hand each time what you said: you
must spend time with these rigs and RTFM if you expect to even begin to use
them to their potential. These are not your Father's radios, to mix
commercial punch lines. I operate a PRO of some sort daily and almost daily
I learn something new or relearn something old. Usually it amounts to a
different or better way to use some control or combination of controls to
deal with some operational problem of QRM, QRN, etc.

While my experience does not include the ORION, I suspect that it is very
much in the same camp as the PROs, being an IF-DSP architecture. These
radios are "easy to operate" in the sense that driving a modern  car is easy
once you have learned how and gained experience in a variety of operating
situations.

Your comments about testing are especially relevant. There is a natural
human tendency when confronted with something relatively new and unfamiliar
to seek comfort in numbers, preferably a single number, and seize upon "that
number" as the arbiter of good vs. evil, etc. The infamous TOI number has
recently been elevated to that status and now any number of radios are being
ranked and argued over because of tests made over a period of several years.

My experience with my PROs has been that yes, there are spurs when a lot of
strong signals are on the band. But, my experience has also been that given
the outstanding DSP filters and capabilities for modifying the filters on
the fly to suit receiving conditions at the moment,  plus the manual notch
filter within the AGC loop, allow virtually any signal to be retrieved from
the background. I routinely copy S1 CW signals with S9+40 dB signals 150 Hz
away with little or no audible effect on the desired signal and, watching a
real-time spectral analysis program output, seeing no changes in the
noise/background floor within the DSP filter. As long as the interfering
signal or spur or whatever is not within the passband with the desired
signal, the weaker signal can be copied.

I have no doubt the ORION is capable of the same DSP filter manipulation and
performance.

So, I believe that instead of looking at numbers we have to integrate the
performance aspects of the entire radio and see how well we can adapt them
to our particular needs before assigning rank orders to radios. That is what
Earl, K6SE, did with his testing. He found which radios did HIS job best and
shared those findings with us.

We are fortunate in these times to have radios that we can adapt to OUR
needs, rather than as in the old days having to adapt our operating habits
and style to fit the radio.

Thanks for laying out the good words, John.

73/72, George
Amateur Radio W5YR -  the Yellow Rose of Texas
Fairview, TX 30 mi NE of Dallas in Collin county EM13QE
"In the 57th year and it just keeps getting better!"
<mailto:w5yr@att.net>