[TenTec] Any QSK experts here?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Any QSK experts here?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:28:12 -0400
I posted this on the Orion reflector but thought I would try here also.

I finally decided to hook up my QSK amp to see how it works with Orion. Amp Supply uses a vacuum relay, driven by KEY IN from a keyer and then connects the amp's KEY OUT to Orion's AUX I/O PTT line. I assume this is done to insure that there are no delay issues. I did adjust Orion's CW QSK Delay to 6% which sounds better than 0% in the monitor, but I suspect there is a better way to adjust this.

Orion recommends doing it the other way around, i.e. key the radio directly with the keyer, send TX OUT 1 to the amp's KEY IN, and then send the amp's KEY OUT back to Orion's TX EN 1.

I haven't tried the second way, but does anyone have an opinion as to which is best, and how to adjust CW QSK Delay? I last used QSK with an amp in about 1960 using the EF Johnson T-R switch, so I'm out of touch with how these things work these days. I'm still inclined not to use QSK in contests for reliability reasons (you only get so many relay cycles in a relay's lifetime) but may play around with it a bit for DXing.

73, Bill W4ZV