Re: [TenTec] Help - Omni V PA

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help - Omni V PA
From: "Tom Althoff" <althoff@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 07:52:38 -0400
Paul...if you operate key down into a dummy load on those frequencies does
the rig still exhibit those symptoms?

Try that and sniff  the top of the Omni near the heat sink (sounds odd, I
know).

If there is any smell like a burned resistor I may have a solution for you
that requires a lot of disassembly and a little grinding of the pc board.

My output transformer arced over between the 2 output transistors causing
the phenolic (or is is fibreglass?) PC board material to char black and
become conductive.   I ended up grinding away the PC board and creating an
air gap between the to solder pads of the transformer...fixed my problem.

My symptoms included burnt resistor smell,  flickering of ALC at key down
and distortion of audio on transmit.  But yours sounds so frequency specific
that I doubt it's the same problem...like I said...just a shot in the dark
in case you try everything else with no success.

Tom K2TA
Greenwood Lake, NY