[TenTec] Centurion experience

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Centurion experience
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:52:11 +0000
I have generally been pleased with my Centurion. It is enough amp for the type of operating I do. If anything it's almost too much (wattage). It's a real nice ragchew and casual dx amp. By that I mean, if I were a serious contester and wall paper chaser I'd probably want some kind of 2 x 4cx800 amp that could run at or near the limit for 48 hours of contesting. but most of the time I yak with my buddies on 75 and 40 and need a boost for armchair copy over the noise level--it's great for that, running fairly cool at around 700 or 800 watts peak. If I do a geezer transmission at 1.2 kw it'll get pretty hot. There's a tradeoff for the quiet operation--reduced cooling but as I said earlier, for noncompetitive operating it's fine. Minor (to me) nits: Somewhat reduced output on WARC bands and high input swr on the tuned input on 75 meters up near 4 MHz. As you move up between 3.95 and 4 the input swr zooms up to around 2+:1. Pros: Great metering, standard features, and I think it's built real well.
If I ever get another amp I'll keep it to have as a standby.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ