Re: [TenTec] Keying lockup problem continued

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keying lockup problem continued
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 19:33:56 -1000
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. I don't think that proximity of the antenna is a factor, and some more details follow which explain why I think that:

I have had the Omni VI and Titan operating for over a year without encountering this problem before. Previously I had been using a 238 tuner with the only antenna I have up. I got a 253 Autotuner, which has provisions for connecting the keying loop through it, so that fault conditions in the tuner can prevent the transmitter from keying until the fault is resolved. So I hooked up the keying loop through the 253 and everything worked fine, until I went to 160 meters and had the lockup problem. When I first discovered the problem I was tuning into a dummy load. It is a really good oil bathed non-inductive resistor that can handle full power and is probably good up to 450 MHz or so.

Since putting one more device in the loop required one more RCA to RCA phono cable, I went out and bought a few at Radio Shack. The new cables I bought seemed nicer than the old ones I had been using, so I went ahead and replaced all of the cables in the keying loop with the new ones. When I discovvered the problem, the first thing I though of was that I had a faulty cable that was more susceptable to RF ingress than the cables I had been using before. I put one of the old cables back, and the problem was gone. I thought that was the end of the story, until I tried tuning up on 160 meters last night. When I switched from the dummy load to the antenna, I had the lockup problem again. It seemed like it happened at a slightly higher power level than before, or more accurately I should say that I did not have to reduce the power output to as low a level to get the lockup condition to release.

I considered whether I could just reduce power a little bit to prevent the lockup, and wondered if there might be some effect on my keying envelope at a power level that did not lock the system up. So I decided to listen to my signal with another receiver. I used my Paragon for this and that is when I discovered that with the key up and no sidetone from the Omni headphones, in the locked up condition, even though the Bird 43 was still indicating that same power output, I could not hear the signal on the Paragon. So in the locked up condition the TX signal either shifts frequency or spreads out in such a way that it now longer makes the sound of a CW signal on the same frequency as the key down signal. Fearing some kind of parasitic oscillation that might damage my tubes, or perhaps an out of band signal causing QRM who knows where, I decided not to try to figure out where the signal went. I left the radio room for the night and took the Omni, Titan and 253 documentation with me.

Studying the manuals I discovered a few interesting things. The manuals show several different ways to interconnect the transceiver, tune and amplifier, depending on exactly what equipment you are using. Some of the diagrams are not applicable to my situation. Of the diagrams that are most applicable I found that some show the TX OUT of the transceiver going first to the 253, then from the 253 to the amplifier, and from the amplifier back to the TX EN of the transceiver. Other diagrams show the loop going to the amplifier first and then to the tuner, before returning to the transceiver. This may not be of any significance, since it is just a loop, and breaking the loop anywhere should disable the transceiver from transmitting. On the other hand keying the amplifier while preventing the transceiver from transmitting might not be so good for very long.

Another interesting thing I found in the 253 manual is that the relay, K6, which is used to break the keying loop, is on the KW BRIDGE PAD BOARD. This board has the SWR bridge on it, and full Titan RF power goes through it. So there may be a significant path for RF to get into the keying loop, regardless of how good my cables are. I'll test this theory by just not connecting the 253 in the keying loop. In the long term though, I want the safety of having the 253 able to prevent the Omni from keying. So I'll have to do something else. Perhaps an external relay that is activated by K6. I don't know what the solution will be, and I'll keep you posted as the saga continues.

Ken N6KB

Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX wrote:

Better cables may not be the answer.  Most likely it is RF getting into the
transceiver via any of the cables connected to the rear connectors on the
transceiver.  Key, audio in/out, PTT, power, speaker, etc etc.  I'd suspect
that it is RF being radiated from the antenna that is being picked up.   Is
the antenna for the band causing the problem closer to the radio than others
that do not cause the problem?

Additional bypassing on the inside rear at the connectors might work.  Don't
over do it as excessive capacity could have a negative effect on the
required in and out signals.  Start with .001 mf and work your way to .01 or
maybe a .05.

73
Bob, K4TAX

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERichard Roberts 3rd" <olesalty@adelphia.net> To: <tentec@contesting.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 7:29 AM Subject: Re: [TenTec] Keying lockup problem continued

Ken, I have had the same problem. Where are you getting the better cables
from.

Tnx
Richard
W1OS