Re: [TenTec] Need Hercules II Remote Contron Cable

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need Hercules II Remote Contron Cable
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 21:50:04 +0000
I had a couple and have made a couple more and they are not that much trouble
to build. And no, I don't solder DB25's either. Not anymore, anyway.

The current demand is small, so I use a ready made 25 wire DB25M/DB25F
extension cable from my local radio parts store for the cable. They also stock
the proper Molex connector shell and pins (in two bubble packs) for the cable.

Cut and trim the cable close to the FM end, making sure the finished cable will
be long enough. Generally, the cables use a variant of the standard RMA color
code, black for 1, brown for 2, etc., and it's not hard to figure out.

I write down the color code to pinout first, underlining the wires I will be
connecting to the Molex. Then I make a layout of the Molex itself, writing in
the colors to go to each pin. Being a belt and suspenders type, I crimp and
solder the wires to the pins. When I have pins on the wires I need, it only
takes a few more minutes, some care in making sure the pins are in the right
holes, and I have a finished extension.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E