[TenTec] Orion Color

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Color
From: "Ron Martin" <royalct@inr.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:17:52 GMT

Gee guys, if you want color please send an email to TenTec. I brought my Orion about 6 Weeks ago, and not having a color display is transparent to me. I will admit that I would like to have color (a nice to have feature that makes it look pretty). However, in my response to Orion's survey for new owners I stated that I would prefer to have color only if it did not increase the cost of the radio (like that will happen).

I own, and still do, an Icom 775DSP, which I consider to have the best receiver of the current asian radios...(yes, better than the PRO II). In looking for an increase in receiver performance I looked at the two american candidates and the upcoming Icom 7800 (full color every thing 7 inch display). I quickly discounted as kinda dum paying in the neighborhood of 10 grand for a ham rig.

Color is nice if it adds utility, other than looks good, but I needed to get the best receiver at the lowest or resonable cost....and the Orion's monochrome display is very functional and does the job. BTW, the Orion was much easier to learn to use than the Icom 775DSP; I belive that that says something about the Orinon's design and the display.