Re: [TenTec] Orion Reviews lacking

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Reviews lacking
From: "jack" <jfriend31@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:01:14 -0600
Craig, even after the challenging time i just experienced trying to get
1.362 installed on my Orion, i would still buy the radio. the RX is so much
finer than anything i have had since the Collins 75S3B that i would buy the
radio for that alone. add to that the sound of TenTec CW and the radio is
sold twice. add to those the fantastic noise reduction. no radio i have ever
used has such smooth and easy noise reduction including the IC756 i thot was
the living end in that regard. i have a local noise level of S7 often with
S9 being possible on a hot summer's day. (Salt Lake City) a local power
distribution line runs down my back fence (50 feet from my antenna--quad at
50 feet). with noise reduction set at 3 i can hear nothing but signal. the
sound coming from the speaker is clear and exceptionally good on my ears. i
know it is better than my IC756 because i use the same speaker and switch
back and forth ...Orion is cleaner without noise reduction than the IC756
with noise reduction. then add the ability to switch RX/TX to VFOA or VFOB
...chasing DX and working up is so very simple, no need to split or change
or any of that stuff and having two knobs to use makes split operation
slicker than any other arrangement i have ever used. the sub RX is better
than the IC756 too. changing bandwidth is simpler with the IC756 but both
work wonderfully well. having a notch does make working CW on tight bands
much more enjoyable at times. (my IC756 is the original model with no CW
notch.) one thing the IC756 did not do well is the band scope ...much better
on the Orion with peaks one can read well before they are S9. i understand
the IC756Pro and II improved on that as well. oh i love the A>B B>A, so
simple one can't miss! i did often with the IC756. so that is the story K4IA
...jack ak7o