[TenTec] QRP-ifying an IC-745 and TT 1208 Transverter

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] QRP-ifying an IC-745 and TT 1208 Transverter
From: Noah Lorang <NoahLorang@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:28:25 -0500

Hi all,

Fairly relelevant, but regardless, this list seems to have the most insight.

I have an IC-745, and I'm considering getting a TenTec 20-6 m transverter, since I have room for a more decent antenna (as in, I can actually pull off a beam), and the desire to get on that band.

The trouble comes in that the transverter requires an input of less than 5 W to drive it. The lowest I can front panel adjust the IC-745 is 10 watts.

The question is:

Is there a way to reduce the IC-745's lowest power level to below 5 watts, and is it possible to keep full power out possible? Or, the IC-745 manual says that it has a 30 mV transverter output. Will this be sufficient to drive the TenTec transverter?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. Also, if you have anything good or bad to say about the TenTec Model 1208 (20 to 6 meter transverter), please let me know.

Noah