[TenTec] TT 1220 problem

To: <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT 1220 problem
From: "Brian Haren" <bharen@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:08:42 -0500
Hello All!

I have a 1220 2-meter kit that has an 'issue' I hope someone can help me with...

The kit was built by a local ham with a lot of kit-building experience and was
recently received back from TT where they replaced a few switching diodes,
checked functionality and gave it a clean bill of health.  I bought it from the
original owner and a good friend.  According to him it has less than 2 hours
operating time on it.

The radio emits a constant low-level high pitched whine.  It's not a 60 hz
'hum', it's much higher frequency whine.  It can be heard by receiving stations
behind my audio and I also pick it up through the radio speaker while receiving
other stations.  I ran a number of tests today, to include turning off all
appliances, lights and power supplies in the house and running the radio from a
battery.  The whine persists.  The interesting thing is that other stations
report the whine fades during long transmissions, but always returns after
unkeying and beginning another transmission.  One local ham stated that it
sounded like some of the capacitors had not yet formed and might well go away
with time.  I'm not so sure.

Does anyone have experience with this radio and perhaps have experienced the
same problem?  I'd love to get this problem solved without having to return it
to TT.  Thanks in advance!

Brian
W8BYH