[TenTec] SDR definition semantics (was 7800 purchases)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] SDR definition semantics (was 7800 purchases)
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:56:09 -0800 (PST)
--- Adam Farson <farson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> I used the term "by definition" for a reason.
> Popular legend to the
> contrary, the Orion is not an SDR. (Neither are the
> IC-756Pro II or
> IC-746Pro, for that matter - except for their DSP
> engine.) It is a
> software-controlled radio. No software known to man
> or beast will alter one
> whit of the IF frequency, local oscillator range and
> RF bandpass-filter
> parameters which determine its frequency coverage.
> These are all
> "hard-wired" in RF hardware. The same remark applies
> to the PA low-pass
> filter bank.

I guess I wouldn't get overly wrapped up in the
semantics of what the exact definition of "SDR" is, in
fact I have not found a single definition of SDR
anywhere that everyone agrees with. The key thing to
look at is what the trend is with DSP and software in
our radios. And as you already point out the DSP
engines of all these radios
(Pegasus/Jupiter/516/Orion/756Pro/ProII/746Pro/7800)
could be argued are SDR, the key thing to consider as
of today is how update-able are they after they leave
the factory?

More and more radios introduced in the future will
follow TT's lead in offering firmware updates. Just
like they all followed TT and (some other US
companies) in using solid sate PA's at the 100W level
some 30 years ago. By the way Icom was the first JA
company to offer SS PA's at that level. So I do find
it kind of interesting that TT and Icom are still in
the forefront of introducing NEW technology today. I
guess that explains why those two brands are dominant
in my shack.

The next phase will be who is first with "in the
radio" decoding of modes beyond CW/SSB/AM/FM and has
Ethernet connectivity. Who ever brings those things
out first in the mid market price range will win all
the marbles in the ham market of the future.

Duane
N9DG