Re: [TenTec] buy the centurion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] buy the centurion
From: jsb@digistar.com
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:21:45 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Ben K8DIT wrote:

> Buy your last amplifier first and save lots of headache and money! The
> Centurion has it all and does it all.

I know this opens a gigantic can of worms but the Titan III is within my
reach if I eat pinto beans and bacon for the next 12 months.

I'm guessing i'd run the Centurion at 800W output but would probably run
the Titan pretty close to the legal limit - the comfort zone for each amp.

So is having the ability to double my output power worth changing my diet
or will the 1000-1300 W output from the Centurion be adequate?

I guess i'm trying to ask the difficult question of whether the difference
between 1000W and 1500W+ for SSB is noticeable - I haven't "heard" for my
own ears the difference between someone running 800W cleanly vs. 1500W+.
It would seem that to make a big impact from 800W I'd have to push out at
least 2400W and i'm not set-up for that kind of operation.

regards,
Jason