RE: [TenTec] RE: New Titan-3

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] RE: New Titan-3
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:45:32 +0100
Hi Lee,

I know you addressed the question to Duane, but I run a similar
setup here so I'll add my 2 cents worth.

I "love" the 3-500z and don't want any other tubes in my shack.
I feel they are the most robust work-horses around, even if they
are 1970's (or 60's) technology.

I have a QRO Technologies HF-2000 which also runs a pair of
3-500z.
Our legal limit here in Germany is 750w !
We don't have any speed limits on the highways, but they limit
our output power!

I have been running the amp just like you plan to run the
Centurion for about 6 years.
I have the Omni VI+ running at about 75 watts and the linear at
750.
Both run cooler and I'm sure will last longer as a result of
this.

The MOST important thing you have to worry about is GRID current.
Too much of it is the prime cause for the death of most linear
tubes.
The primary cause of too much GRID current is overloading your
amp when tuning (the LOAD control is set too high).

Tip: always back off the LOAD considerably, tune the "TUNE" for
dip (or maximum smoke on the watt metter) then gradually increase
the LOAD and always re-TUNE as the final step.  While doing this,
always keep one eye on the GRID current meter and never allow it
to go over the recommended limit.  That's about 100 mA per tube.
If you follow this procedure, your amp will live forever!

To help simplify the above, I have taken a RED permanant marker
and drawn a big red line on the front glass of the GRID Current
metter @ 200 mA.  That way I don't have to actually "read" the
meter - I just keep the GRID current below the red line.
Remember the movie, "Redline 7000"?  Well this is "Redline 200"!

73
Rick