[TenTec] Crystal vs. DSP Filtering: Tnx 4 ur help!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Crystal vs. DSP Filtering: Tnx 4 ur help!
From: John Pfeifer <jpfeifer@gci.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 16:48:49 -0900
Hello all,

Thanks for all the replies!  I think my problem was largely the result of
operator error...

The suggestion to use the PBT control proved most helpful.  I found that if I
tuned the weak CW signal in as close to 600 Hz as possible using a fairly wide
bandwidth, I could then turn both 250 Hz filters on and "fine tune" with the
PBT.  The sweet spot is very narrow, but even a very weak signal really leaps
out.

In the past, I was trying to tune with the main dial while using a narrow
filter, and just could just never find the right spot.

Next time I have a "QRP Pileup" ;-) I'll see if I can pick out individual
signals with the PBT.

Thanks again & 73,

John Pfeifer - KL0WN
Kodiak, Alaska

> Hello all,
>
> I've been playing around with my Omni V.9 in some QRP contests lately
where I am trying to pick out one weak signal from a bunch of  weak signals.
Everybody's running QRP and nobody is above S5.  When I crank in any
filtering below 1.8 kHz, however, all of the signals are attenuated to the
point that I can't hear anything.  I've noticed the same phenomena with my
Elecraft K1 as well.  It seems like narrow filtering only works for signals
that are S6 and above.
 etc.