Re: [TenTec] Crystal vs. DSP Filtering: Tnx 4 ur help!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Crystal vs. DSP Filtering: Tnx 4 ur help!
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:07:36 -1000
Hi John and all,

It sounds like you have already figured it out. Another way to explain it that might help others get it, is to say: The passband tuning only moves the passband of the second (6.3 MHz) IF and not the first (9 MHz) IF. When you are using narrow filters in both IFs you can adjust the PBT such that the two passbands do not coincide, and vitually no signals will get through.

Hope this helps somebody,

Ken N6KB

The suggestion to use the PBT control proved most helpful. I found that if I tuned the weak CW signal in as close to 600 Hz as possible using a fairly wide bandwidth, I could then turn both 250 Hz filters on and "fine tune" with the PBT. The sweet spot is very narrow, but even a very weak signal really leaps out.

In the past, I was trying to tune with the main dial while using a narrow filter, and just could just never find the right spot.