[TenTec] RX-340 INTERMODULATION

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RX-340 INTERMODULATION
From: "Cantarelli, Dino" <DinoCantarelli@EATON.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:13:24 -0500

   Dino Cantarelli   I5XUZ

    Via Monzoni 11   54036   Marina di Carrara
    Italy

    dinocantarelli@eaton.com

  I am located in EUROPE and I own an RX-340   since May 2002.
 One strange effect I have noticed is that on certain frequencies some
birdies
 are udible. They are spaced at 1 KHz interval and during the tuning
operation
they cannot zero beat.Once you approach few hundreds hertz the beat starts
at high frequency again,and so on. The range from S3 up to S7.
 At my location the effect is audible with the following antennas:
   1) Explorer 14
   2) Dipole 80 mt.
   3 Dipole 160.mt

  If I disconnect the antenna the problem is not present.

 I have done some tests to isolate the problem and the only way to stop it
is to
put a good preselector before the receiver.
 The frequencies involved are all the 40 mt. band and between 3.745 and
3.795 KHz.
 USB or LSB gives the same result.
 In ISB mode it's present only with beat frequencies of few hundreds hertz
but it's still there.
 I tought that it was almost impossible to induce intermodulation of second
or third order
 in such a good receiver with antennas like dipoles,but that's it.

 Does anybody have an idea of how this is possible ??

 I add that my  TS440-S with the same antenna and the same preselector has
no intermodulation
effects at all.

 Hello Dino