Re: [TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion fans

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: [Orion] Orion fans
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:10:53 -0600
There are a number of things to do to quiet most computer fans.   First, is
use a ball bearing fan.  They are quiet for much longer than the common
sleeve bearing type.
Sleeve bearing fans are good for maybe 2 years of hard use before freezing
up or getting slow.

Second, is to not hard mount the fan to a resonating metal panel, or other
hard surface that acts as a sounding board.  The easiest way to avoid this
is use a cushion of foam material, and even to encase the mounting screws in
rubber grommets or use nylon expanding fasteners.

Sleeve bearing computer fans are the most numerous and will be vended unless
you specify ball bearing type.   Most sleeve bearing fans that are noisy are
quietened for a year or more; if you use a hair dryer to lift the paper
label and spray some Triflow (oil with teflon microscopic ball bearings)
into the bearing hole.  Run the fan horizontal with the bearing opening up
until the lube works its way in and the fan is quiet.  Re install.

The factory lube in sleeve bearing fans seems to work out or evaporate in
about a year after production.  Conceivably, if the fan is New Old Stock, it
could be noisy on arrival.  One wonders if they used Triflow at the fan
factory if we ever would have a complaint.   I replace about a fan a week on
lab computers that are on network and on 24/7.
-Stuart
K5KVH