Re: [TenTec] Dial cord on 238 Tuner

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dial cord on 238 Tuner
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 21:35:54 -1000
Charles Johnson wrote:

Ken,

I replaced the elastic band on both of my 238s with miniature stainless
steel springs. Gardner Spring, Inc. part # V17C. They are .130" OD x .0162"
WD x 4.0" OAL. I found them at a local hardware store (the old fashioned
kind of hardware store that has everything).

Charles,

Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like it will last much longer than the elastic string. I went to an Ace Hardware store and they had a pretty good selection of springs. They did not have the Gardner line though. That sounds familiar. I must have seen it at another hardware store around here. I bought a couple of springs similar to the dimensions you recommend. They did not seem to have the right range from fully stretched to almost no tension. So I used elastic string again. I bought some, that appears to be identical to the original, at Ben Franklins. It is working for now. I'll keep my eyes open for just the right spring and when the elastic fails again, and I am sure it will, I will use your method.

Thanks,

Ken N6KB, Hilo, Hawaii