Re: [TenTec] Re: OMNI-6+ problem and an Orion comment

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: OMNI-6+ problem and an Orion comment
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:38:16 +0000
I had similar problems (twice!) a few years ago with one of the triplets, when
I had the two Option 3's and the VI+ hooked up. Which made a VERY cramped
shack. But anyway....

I don't remember which did which but in one case I had a higher than normal
resistance connection at the Molex connector on the back of the rig. The other
time the power supply would break into oscillation and then trip off at around
12 Amps or so. I determined the source of the problem with quick power supply
swap with no problems on the Astron.

An ice pick job on the Molex connector tightened things up enough to clear that
up - and a friend repaired the 961 so he could contest while I was in hospital
so I don't remember what that problem turned out to be.

And by the way, I did not work the 160 since my 160 antenna is down, but the
Orion's second receiver is plenty good enough to monitor the DX while you hunt
his receive frequency on the main TX/RX. No more "wrong VFO" screams from the
DX police!!!

73  Pete Allen  AC5E