Re: [TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:26:12 +0000
Duffy, the deal with no hole in the basement floor is simple. What is today may
not be tomorrow. I had a friend who built his own house starting with the
basement. The plan was to build the basement, move into it, and build the house
up as funds became avaliable.

The scheme worked pretty well. He and his English war bride were snug as a bug
for the first winter. Come spring, Jimmy put the walls up and the roof on - and
then the bottom dropped out. They got a "100 year rain." His shiny new basement
with a shell on top came up out of the ground and floated off down the creek.

So I was not at all surprised when a local dentists empty swimming pool turned
into a boat during a flooding rain we had here a few years ago. It floated high
enough to turn sidewise over its hole - and needless to say took a lot of work
to get it back where it belonged. The Doc says he is through with pool covers!

Now, specifically, I don't care for holes in basement floors because there's no
way to drive a rod tight enough to be inherently watertight and every sort of
patch/gasket/leak stopper I know of deteriorates over time. Sooner or later a
hole in a basement floor is going to be a problem. It may not be while you
still live in the house but that time will come. And when it does somebody is
going to have an expensive repair.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E