Re: [TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RE: Power Supply & Equip. grounding
From: Curtis Rossow <curtisa@surfbest.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:54:09 -0700

I remember seeing a long and large braided lightning down lead that has endured the passage of time. While I was visiting Florence I went up to the top of the Cupola on the Duomo at the cathederal. We were 65 meters above ground level and the ornimental lantern rose another 22 meters.

While I was there I noticed the ground braid that came down from the top of the lantern. The braid was two to three inches in diameter. It had a green patina which showed that it had been there for some time.

I know that it did its job. About twenty minutes after we came down from the top we walked about two blocks towards our hotel we heard a loud roar. It started raining in a downpour. I am sure that the roar was from a lightning strike on the cathedral.

I would have liked to go backup and look at the ground braid. I am sure that it was still intact.

From this experience I am sure that braid does work for grounding.

Curt Rossow NU7R

Even better than braid in a lightning dissipation strap is wide flat copper
strap.

Braid could explode if struck at a tower with a direct hit.

Now I wonder why the FAA specifies "woven lightning down leads" rather than solid conductors. This lightning protection is located on the long range radars radome. Several lightning rods (with very sharp points are locate around the external surface of the radome. These are connected to a ciruclar ring of woven cable which has a couple of woven down leads that eventuall connect to the tower down lead which is also woven wire (this is some pretty big wire and the "strands" are pretty healthy size. For some reason solid coductors were prohibited.......

73, de wd4air