Re: [TenTec] Lightning, RF and Grounding [WAS - PS grounding]

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lightning, RF and Grounding [WAS - PS grounding]
From: tongaloa <tongaloa@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:29:22 -0500
Interesting. But what's an 'induction field'?
-bob
ac5e@comcast.net wrote:

While we are on the subject of lightning, let me mention a friend. I went to school with Scott Bradley, more years ago than I care to contemplate. While I went to learn about electronics, Scotty decided to make some money on the wheat thrashing circuit.

Scott was found dead after one of those dry prairie thunderstorms you get in the Dakotas, lying by his truck a few feet from a windmill tower. He thought the tower would act as a lightning rod, and it would be safe enough to step out and take care of a little urgent business. Lightning hit the tower, and the induction field paralyzed his heart nerves.

Since then many hikers and campers have been found "mysteriously dead" near lightning blasted trees. Death by induced electromagnetic field is a recognized "act of God." And that is cause for thought for those of us who put up Rohn or other makes of "neighborhood lightning rods."

YOU DO NOT want to be within fifty feet of a lightning strike under any circumstances. If it is at all possible locate your tower as far from your house/shack/occupied building as it is humanly possible. Do provide an adequate and preferably redundant ground for the tower, and for any cabling to and from the tower. This is one case where more is not only better, the best you can do is not enough.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E