Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion IP2 numbers

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion IP2 numbers
From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:35:33 -1000
More:

Is it possible to measure IP2 of the Orion,  and for it
to have some real meaning.....Yes:

The second order IM products occur as  f1+and- f2,
> and 2f1 and 2f2.  Therefor,  one way,  legitimate to
> measure,  it seems to me, for example would be to
> generate a signal at 7.010 MHz, and read the output
> at 14.02,  the data readout frequency the ARRL labs
> chose.  Now that could be  a legitimate test,  but not
> 6 and 8 MHz input which would "mix" to an f1+f2
> result of 14.00MHz,  and not 14.02,  by the way.

Or,  how about a real measurement of IP2 results;  how
much IMD is generated on 20 meters because of
two powerful,  close signals down on 40 meters?
For example:  f1 = 7.006 MHz;  f2= 7.014 MHz .
Then the 2nd order product, f1 + f2 from these two
signals is at the ARRL test data readout frequency,
14.020.  Now there is a real, and would be interesting,
possible test result,  which would have some meaning.
This measurement could be legitimately performed on
an Orion and have real meaning.

73,  Jim  KH7M