[TenTec] ORION first element shortening & headphone clicks

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] ORION first element shortening & headphone clicks
From: Bob Henderson <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 05:14:01 +0000
FWIW I relate my experience in this area to date, with the Orion I have here.

I am very much a CW man and most of my operating is on that mode. Although one might think that with a full QSK rig the transition to the first character element should be identical to the transition to all subsequent character elements, I have yet to see the rig that confirms this hypothesis.

Concerning clicks in the headphones I observe the following. If I send at speeds upto 20 wpm there is a very noticeable click in the headphones at the start of every character element. In practice I rarely send at those speeds and find that at greater speeds the clicking is less noticeable. This is because at greater speeds the Orion is not fully reverting between elements to whatever state it was in before I commenced keying. I am pretty sure those of you with an Orion will be able to witness the effect I am describing here quite easily. Incidentally, I am using an external keyer, as I am rather attached to Logikey functionality. All you need to do is listen in your phones when you send a string of dots at say 15 wpm and again when you send a string of dots at 30 wpm. Chalk & Cheese! I am sure you will agree there must be some inter element transition takiing place at lower speeds that isn't at higher ones. I guess if I regularly sent at sub 20wpm speeds I might find the clicking to be really irritating.

Concerning first character element shortening, I am puzzled by the ARRL findings. I like to engage in QSK rag chewing at speed from time to time. When I operate my Orion at 50 wpm I am unable to perceive any first element shortening by ear. Intuitively, I feel that if shortening was as marked as the ARRL test suggests, I would be able to perceive it. I don't have a storage scope so I can't easily do any more substantial a check on this.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F