Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion tuning rates - Further thoughts
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 08:36:43 EST
Set the step to 1 and the encoder to Fast.  That reduces the warble
considerably and the tuning is 40% as fast as it is when the step in 10 and the
encoder
on slow.  That is the best I have been able to do to reduce the warble and
the tuning speed is still too slow.

I notice that if you tune across a signal slowly (but not too slowly), it
sounds more natural.  I suspect the processor in the rig is a little slow to do
everything it called upon to do and when you tune too fast, it actually jumps
by more than the step size to keep up with your spinning the knob.  Sometimes
it seems like the digits on the display hesitate slightly if I give the knob a
good twirl.  I can barely hear a 10hz change but the change when you spin the
knob to move across the band is more like 100 hz and very noticeable.

The answer may be in a faster processor or more of them to divide up the
duties.

Radio k4ia
Craig "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA