Re: [TenTec] Wish the sidetone volume stayed constant

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Wish the sidetone volume stayed constant
From: "Joseph Trombino Jr" <w2kj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 23:55:05 -0500
From: <K4IA@aol.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 11:46 PM

> Here's a wishlist item for ya.
>
> Please make the sidetone volume constant.  It should not be blasting me
away
> just because I have to turn up the receive volume.
>
> Anyone want to fight about this idea?
>

> Radio k4ia
> Craig "Buck"
> Fredericksburg, Virginia USA

Howdy Buck:

I agree 100%.  My OMNI VI/3 had constant sidetone and was a pleasure to
operate.  I'm not sure why TenTec went to sidetone that varied with the
volume control setting.  It is implemented in my ARGO V, Orion and in a
previously owned Jupiter and can be very distracting to say the least.

All of my other rigs have sidetone that can be set for a particular level
and will not vary according to volume control changes.  My ARGO II is a
great QRP rig and has the non-varying type of sidetone......real nice to
operate and you can turn the volume control up as high as you want with no
increase in sidetone volume.

I asked some TenTec reps about the change and they really couldn't give me a
good answer.  It should be able to be modified......who will be the first to
perform the mod??

                                                    73, Joe W2KJ
                                                    North Carolina