[TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ? (V/UHF considerations)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT Orion: Also SEMI-BK-IN possible ? (V/UHF considerations)
From: "Marijan Miletic, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:50:11 -0000
N9DG> So when you are pointed towards
that "line of site" multi-op station who is pointed at
your station with 1KW or more into 15+ dB of antenna
(on both ends) you will have some very strong signals
to deal with. But yet your station will still need to
be able hear signals approaching -150dBm that are only
a few kHz away. So a transverter IF radio having
extremely low phase noise like the Orion has is a
distinct advantage, so is its IP3 and close-in BDR
specifications.

This is exactly the experience of numerous EU VHF contesters.
Good 144/14 MHz transverter was made by S53WW at
http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53ww/xvrt/xvrt.htm
It was later discovered that HF radios wideband TX noise is main cause of
inter-station problems with sets of Yagis in different fixed directions.
While on HF we suffer from BCI, on VHF we commit suicide with excesive
power.

Please notice that VHF -150 dBm noise floor is at least 30 dB higher on 160
m.  VHF ERP is also higher.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU