Re: [TenTec] How We Buy Things

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] How We Buy Things
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:35:41 -0500
WA3FIY wrote:

> There are disadvantages to using PTT as you describe.  I
> posted an example yesterday, but repeat it here.   On the
> other had, it is quite simple to accomplish the "PTT" controlled
> function by connecting the computer CW PTT output to the
> amplifier control input in parallel with T/R output of the radio.
> No changes to the radio necessary.   This seems to be getting
> lost in the noise.

> REPOST
> Yes there are disadvantages.  Here I use the PTT line for
> multiple functions.   As a PTT line when on SSB, as a CW keying
> line when sending CW from my computer and as a PTT line when
> on RTTY/SSTV/PSK.  The last two functions use a single
> interface line from my computer which is effectively in parallel
> with the mic PTT switch.   The same line keys the rig on CW
> and puts it into transmit for the sound card modes.  This would
> not be possible if the PTT line was configured as you suggest.

Various patches are possible, but it is somewhat discomforting
to know that a simple thing like this one has to be patched
on a otherwise fine radio.

But if TenTec says that CW PTT cannot be provided
by a firmware change, the world has to live with patches.

I find suggestions like this one much more productive
than "Let'em eat [QSK] cakes". And as K3BU explained,
this is not a "PTT vs QSK" race at all. Both are needed.

73 & Happy New Year,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN