[TenTec] Orion Controls, etc.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Controls, etc.
From: "Larry Rockfield" <w6ub@nxs.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:18:48 -0500
Discussions concerning Hi Cut / Lo Cut, headphone clicks, AGC threshold, and
the Sweep demand on the processor response have been interesting and beneficial.

Perhaps these discussions will someday lead to user defined controls.  Menu
driven software loaded on a PC would enable the user, via the Orion serial
port, to change the Cut control to AGC Threshold control, for example.  An
overlay panel stick-on mounted behind the control knob would define the control
function.  For the present however, user comments have enhanced my interest in
noting some observations and procedures which have produced positive results
and described in the following:

Headphone clicks - heard when keying the transmitter are somewhat annoying, and
can be reduced by the owner with minimal repercussion.  Ten Tec Service
Directive 565-01  addresses a low-level tone problem heard in low-impedance
headphone (8 ohms or so), and recommends the insertion of a series resistor
with a value between 47 and 100 ohms.  I did not hear the tone, and my Heil
Pro-Set Plus has an impedance of around 200 ohms, but I did hear key clicks.

One of our subscribers recommended installing the resistor in series with the
common shield conductor rather than an alternative placement.  I tried various
resistors ranging from 33 to 100 ohms and selected 47 ohms for the Heil.  This
value reduced the click without objectionable reduction in audio volume.  The
resistor impacts the Monitor function to a greater degree, but the control is
still quite usable.

Sweep issue - has the number 1 slot for
http://www.rfsquared.com/Orion/Orion%20Issues.txt .  Hopefully, Gary and other
are close to a resolution.  While on the subject of the Sweep, have you
occasionally noticed while adjusting AGC Threshold or Noise Reduction level
that turning the MULTI control causes the same number to reappear rather than
advancing to the next number, and when the Sweep is turned off the numbers
react as they should?  Again, one of our subscribers appear to be on target
with his concerns of the control processor's ability to keep pace with events.
For months, I thought the problem was my age and the shakes, hi.  For me, the
Sweep should have the lowest priority in the food chain, and being real time is
not an issue here.

Hi Cut / Lo Cut - has had little use at this QTH until you guys started
rattling the cage.  I operate mostly CW and use LCW on all bands, thanks to a
friend, since the received signal tone will always increase with dial
frequency.  Consequently, the Hi Cut gives me the combined control of Bandwidth
and Passband Tuning.  Looks as if I will be making better use of this control
due to your input.

Other's issues - I have not had a problem with fuzzy sidetone or firmware
version 1.367 other than I seem to have more TT Issue 1 events.  And I enjoy
using QSK with the Orion and Alpha 99 combination.  Voice memory I have not
tried, and for CW I only use the LogiKit Keyer.

73,
Larry W6UB