Re: [TenTec] K3BU Orion Review?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] K3BU Orion Review?
From: w8au@sssnet.com
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:39:46 -0500
Hi Yuri:

At 08:05 PM 01/12/2004, you wrote:
I think that contesters are smarter than being brainwashed by flashy ads.

Just how many? The majority of contesters I know are not technically minded
nor can understand all the "selling points" promoted in the ads, to accept them
or see the hype involved. They DO see cosmetics and in general "follow the crowd."
(as I think more about it, I only know ONE contester in my tri-county area that
understands the technical aspects of what he's using, and he is an RF E.E. Normally,
contesters do not engage in technical aspects of the hobby. Theirs is more an
attraction to competitive, fast paced events requiring manual dexterity and quick-wittedness.
Something like video games....?)

However, thoughtful and instructive reviews like ON4UN's and yours will
help somewhat. But, as in ALL economics, (of which ham radio is just a "speck")
promotion is the big thing....

Tnx,73,

Perry