Re: [TenTec] ground wave Mode? How to know?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ground wave Mode? How to know?
From: tongaloa <tongaloa@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:42:03 -0500
Stuart-

Yes, but there is also tropospheric ducting, atmospheric refraction, and scattering.
Ducting and atmospheric refraction are pretty common, specially over
the ocean. Was wondering, in your experiments, how you distinguish these from
the 'ground wave' which refers the radio wave that propagates along the surface.

For the bbenefit of other readers (based only on my limited knowledge of
radio physics so don't assume I'm an authority), the earth and atmosphere have
two different indices of refraction for radio waves and radio waves that are 'bent'
along the curvature of the earth because of this difference are what one commonly
refers to as 'ground waves'.

73,
-Bob
ah7i

Stuart Rohre wrote:

Bob,
very simple really.  When the band at 10m is open for skywave, then you hear
the distant stations in multi hop skip zones, and you can tell by their
calls or QTH reports.

When 10m band noise causes AGC to run open, and you are not hearing any
other stations except close by stations, then you have ground wave
operation.  100 miles is well under the typical first hop skip distance at
30MHz.
73,
Stuart Rohre
K5KVH