Re: [TenTec] RE:STERBA

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] RE:STERBA
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 20:59:14 +0000
Well, I thought the Fermi installation was associated with Argonne, across the
river from Lemont, which was a pretty far suburb of Chicago the last time I was
there. Used to visit my dad's friend Al the Gravedigger, Al Nelson, pretty
regularly, and if the Chicago Trib's archives are available I suspect Al's many
contributions to fine literature to be taken with the morinings first cuppa joe
will be noted. Good cook, too. What that man could do with a chop, a few
veggies, a pressure pot, and a stick of butter would make most cooks turn green
with envy!

As far as the ring antenna is concerned, I'm under the impression it was on the
Illinois side of the river, close to Fort Madison, around - Pontusuc? - some
such name. The railroad mogul used to take the gun dog or field trial editor of
Sports Afield, whose name was Jimmy Robinson as best I recall, hunting in the
same general area. I don't know what the tycoon's name was, not Sam Insull for
sure, but like Insull he didn't last long after the crash of '29.

If the Chicago Trib's files are available, you might look for a former CB&Q
exec who stepped out of a Chicago hi-rise in 31 or 32 and went splat on the
sidewalk.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E