Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Quieting fan
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:22:13 -1000
Hi John,

I'm glad you have made some good measurements that seem to indicate you are still getting sufficient cooling at the slower fan speed. I am curious what the meaurements were before the resistor modification was made. Is the "before" in your list of temperatures before 5 minute key-down, and not before the modification? Seems like only 6 degrees temperature rise after 5 minutes of key-down is not too much. You might want to consider a switch to bypass the resistor conveniently for contest or other higher duty cycle operation. My Titan has a fan speed switch on the power supply, and that is exactly how I use it.

DE N6KB

I checked the case temperature before during and after a 5 minute continuous key-down @ 450 watts into a dummy load. The results; recorded with a Raytek infrared thermometer: *before; case intake 95 degrees F, case exhaust 115 degrees F.
*during; intake 95 degrees, exhaust 121 degrees F
*1 minute after; intake 95 degrees F, exhaust 118 degrees F