RE: [TenTec] Orion microphone choices, Orion Monitor function

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion microphone choices, Orion Monitor function
From: "Ron" <royalct@inr.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:20:49 -0500
Don,

I am running an Heil HC-5 element in a Radio Shack Cardioid metal microphone
body.  The Orion's settings used with this mic combination are: Processing
at 3, Mic at 71, TX EQ at 0.

I generally work DX and a little rag chewing.  In that vein, I consistently
receive outstanding, excellent, etc transmitted audio reports.  (Yeh I know,
beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

Please note that I have grounded the microphone's cable shield (this came
with the original Radio Shack Mic) to both the Orion's 'radio' and 'chassis'
ground, i.e., I tied the audio ground to the chassis ground.  I learn to do
this from my Icom 775DSP rig, which grounds are in the same configuration as
the Orion, to prevent RF energy getting into the audio.

Ron ..... NU1U