[TenTec] Problem with Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Problem with Orion
From: "Manuel R. Alonso / KC4MNE" <malonso@professionalplumbers.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:13:38 -0500
Well it went back to the factory. Here are my problems, anybody experienced
something like this?

January 14, 2004

Ten Tec, Inc
1185 Dolly Parton Parkway
Sevierville, TN 37862

Attn:   Service Department

RE  ORION, Warranty Service

Problem:

Radio has no output power when ?tune button? was pressed. However the built
in power/s meter showed output power and current draw from power supply
increased.

When PTT was activated radio also has no output power and built in power/s
meter showed full scale output power although no mic. audio is present and
radio is in USB or LSB mode.

Decided to try and do a firmware update to latest version before sending
radio back to factory. Radio failed to update firmware and is now stuck in
the ?system loading? screen. Master reset with the RX/TX button or the VFOB
LCK button failed to reset the radio.

Also, although unrelated to this incident I have noticed the following
potential problems:

1.      S Meter never goes to 0, not even with the antenna disconnected and a
dummy load connected to the antenna port. Can this be corrected?
2.      ?Audio Guys? on 14.178 say that radio?s audio has like some distortion
in
the upper frequencies. Please check the radio?s tx audio and correct if
possible.
3.      When tune button is pressed or ptt is activated in FM power level
increases one or two seconds after. Can this be corrected?

Sincerely,

Manuel R. Alonso
KC4MNE