Re: [TenTec] Problem with Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem with Orion
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 21:26:38 -0600
> Well it went back to the factory. Here are my problems, anybody
> experienced something like this?

No, sample of one, with one exception.

Exception:  The S-meter "zero" point is in fact, S-1.  You won't get this
fixed.

I think I made some similar comments on another list, but ...

It could be you needed to do either a Master Reset or RAM CLEAR reset.
If you did these, and it still didn't work, you probably have a problem.  It
could also be that the resets didn't seem to have any effect because of
the following:

It sounds like the FW update failed in progress, and left the radio in an
inoperable state.  FW update problems are generally PC/port
configuration problems, cable/connector issues, etc.  I once went into a
state of panic when my radio was left in totally bashed state.   I recall
(perhaps incorrectly) that if the radio detects that the existing firmware
load is bad, it automatically goes into the "update" state at power up.  But
I only had this happen once, due to a cockpit problem and not a radio
problem, so my recollection is a bit dim on the subject.  In any case, the
next try (after reseating connectors along the RS-232 cable) worked
without a hitch and the radio promptly came back to life ...

Many people have had problems with updates, that invariably turned out
to be PC or cable related problems.

If you did not have a good firmware load, due to an upload error, it's quite
possible that the resets won't work properly --- there's nothing to reset ...

In any case, you'll undoubtedly get your radio back from T-T in working
order, although who knows if the 14.178 bunch will like the audio ... :-)

Grant/NQ5T