Re: [TenTec] Owning a Volvo?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Owning a Volvo?
From: "Frank Gilmore" <klycotek01@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 14:17:41 -0600
From: <ac5e@comcast.net>
To: <Rick@dj0ip.de>; <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2004 1:31 PM

> While some of the references I have seen have been more than slightly
obscure, at one time "owning a Volvo" was a sign of a "Young Upwardly mobile
Professional Person," or YUPPIE. Driving a Volvo meant you were one of the
"in crowd."

Well as we speak of obscure let me tell one that was blatantly clear.  I had
been dealing on a Volvo 740DL and had taken it for the final test drive
before signing the papers.....  I really liked the car a lot and had read
all the safety reports etc.  I was a Chief of Police at the time and had
seen a couple of them protect their owners even though the cars were balls
of smashed metal and plastic.

I was two blocks from the agency and had to make a panic stop when a
youngster on a moped pulled out in front of me.  I heard a rending crash and
at first thought I had struck the lad.  Getting out I found the entire grill
assembly (complete with horizontal stripe) and the front bumper had decided
even though the vehicle stopped they wanted to continue onward.  About
thirty feet onward.  I had my trusty police HT on my belt and asked HQ to
advise the agency to send a tow truck to the location to pick up the pieces
and have one of he district units pick me up and take me to the Mazda
dealership.....  I bought a RX-7 that very day (1983) and although it has
had more than it share of accidents from drunks, falling tree limbs, and
baseball size hail it still sits in the drive looking rather sad but running
like a sewing machine.

Word of of the car incident spread rapidly and soon I was taking a lot of
kidding on 2 meters and various police frequencies.

So much for solid safety!!  But down deep within me is still a great
admiration for the engineering of their cars..... if only they would
remember to put the bolts in.  Later inspection showed only one or two
holding the entire front assembly together.  Cosmetic yes.....but
disconcerting to say the least

I thought about shooting it to put it out of it's misery but it was just too
pretty a car.  Hi.

73,

Frank K0JPJ  ex-W5PVX