[TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 14, Issue 4 : Jupiter and D-104

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: TenTec Digest, Vol 14, Issue 4 : Jupiter and D-104
From: Allan Henry Kaplan <w1ael@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 20:54:40 -0500
Don't bother with the amplifier and impedance-matching transformer, OM. Jupiter's input impedance is high enough [47K-ohms] to match the D104 microphone. Any post that refers to 47K as "low impedance" is way off base.

A few words about imedance matching may be of general interest here:
The reason for impedance matching is that a load which matches the impedance of the source results in transfer of the maximum power available from that source. This is fairy important when the source is a transmitter and the load is an antenna. A bad imedance match in that situation will at least result in wasting much of your signal power, and may damage the transmitter.

When the source and the load are handling low power signals, as is the case with a microphone and the transmitter's audio input, an impedance mismatch will waste some audio power, but there is no likely risk of damaging either source or load. We consider impedance here as purely resistive, just to simplify the discussion and expose the basic principles.

Two cases of low power impedance match present different results, to wit:
(1) when the load impedance is much lower than the source impedance, power transfer will be inefficient AND low frequency response will suffer because the coupling capacitor in the transmitter forms a high pass filter with the (resistive)source impedance;
(2) when the load impedance is much higher than the source impedance, the power transfer will be inefficient, and the microphone may sound somewhat bassy (depends on the mike characteristics). The MIC gain control can usually overcome the power transfer inefficiency.

D104 is basically high impedance, but I'll just bet the amplifier output impedance is low enough so that case (2) applies. Wire it up and plug it in! You won't break anything, and it should sound OK. Go easy on the D104 amplifier's gain if it has a control. You can use Jupiter's MONITOR function with headphones to get a good idea of the audio quality.

Disclaimer: I am a retired Ten-Tec engineer who uses microphones very infrequently, and am much less fussy about audio than many....

73 de W1AEL, Allan in Sevierville, TN.

1. Jupiter and D-104 (Kreinberg, David)