[Orion] Re: [TenTec] Topband: BDR redux

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] Re: [TenTec] Topband: BDR redux
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:24:22 -0600
> We've been enjoying "AGC Treshold" for many decades,
> although we didn't use the name until the recent
> marketing breakthroughs :-)

I think you totally misunderstand AGC THRESHOLD as applied in
the Orion.

The RF gain control in the less modern receivers you refer to does
much more than simply change, as a byproduct, AGC threshold.  It
actually reduces overall receiver gain.  There is no change in
threshold, only a change in signal levels into the AGC circuitry.

The Orion AGC threshold control is quite different.  The front end
continues to run wide open (with the 9+30 dB exception where AGC
is applied to protect the ADC).  The Orion RF GAIN control is
actually an IF GAIN adjustment -- again, there is no front end gain
reduction aplied (except for ADC protection).

RF gain, as typically applied, reduces over all receiver gain for
signals of all levels.  AGC THRESHOLD has no impact on signals
above the threshold setpoint.  It simply prohibits AGC action on
signals below the setpoint.

Grant/NQ5T