RE: [TenTec] Topband: BDR redux

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Topband: BDR redux
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 05:51:28 +0100
Barry, I agree with you. Maybe I'm old-fashion, but I don't even
use the CUT.  I just use the BW/PBT.

However, Sinisa is highly exaggerating the effort to adjust the
AGC threshold.
I tried it for the first time two nights ago, and without looking
in the manual, it took me about 10 seconds to find the adjustment
and make an adjustment.  Since I left the threshold highlighted,
it then took about 2 seconds after that for each new adjustment.
I agree that seeing a micro volt number associated with the AGC
is pretty meaningless to me, but to be honest, the S-Unit was
also meaningless to me the first time I used a receiver.

So here is my take on the whole thing.  How many times do you
make this adjustment in a 24 hour period?  Probably a few times.
How many times do you have to adjust the volume control on a
classical rig?  Probably a hundred times during a contest.

I'd say it's a good tradeoff as is, though Barry's suggestion
would be (for my operating mode) even better.  For normal, daily
use, I think I'm going to try Carl's software.  I don't know if I
would use additional software during a serious contest, though.
I'll save my judgment until after I've tried it.

73
Rick