Re: [TenTec] Orion diversity reception

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion diversity reception
From: "Tom Whiteside" <tomw@ecpi.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 11:13:26 -0600
I'm still experimenting and learning with using diversity with the Orion on
160M.   Mostly I listen on the main RX with a Beverage and on the
subreceiver with the transmit antenna which is normally in 4-square mode for
DXing and in OMNI mode for contests.    I've found this mode to be much less
useful in contests because the subrx gets swamped with all the nearby strong
signals - makes you appreciate the bullet-resistant main rx front end.    (I
sure would have paid extra for some roofing options on the subrx...)    Even
in contests this mode is useful for hearing a South American station on the
OMNI but I typically put the sub rx in mixed mode and turn the volume down a
fair amount.

DXing is another matter.   Many times it really helps - sometimes I can just
copy better with both even though the Beverage sounds the better of the two,
And there are times (less frequent in my limited experience) where I'm
guessing I'm hearing a different hop mode on each antenna - when that
happens, it is like listening to two guys calling on the same zero beat and
I just decode gibberish.

Tom Whiteside
N5TW Georgetown, TX