[TenTec] Omni VI Noise Blanker

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI Noise Blanker
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:51:01 -0500
Is there a sure fire way to determine that the Noise Blanker in the Omni VI
is working?

I have an Omni VI with option 3 upgrade. Recently, something has happened to
a power line near the QTH and I have a pretty consistent S5+ noise level.
The power company RFI guy has confirmed my problem and they are coming out
this week to fix it.  There problem produces a constant buzz.

At any rate, the Noise Blanker in the Omni VI seems to have absolutely no
effect on this noise, or any other noise that I've encountered. In fact, I
can't hear any change in the signal as I rotate the NB knob. To me it seems
that the NB not doing anything. I have to admit that prior to the recent
problem, I've not had much noise (this is a rural location), so I don't know
if the NB ever worked.

If there is a problem with my NB, has anyone else had a similar problem and
is there something (easy) that I can check? Does the Omni VI need to go home
for a tune up?

The DSP Noise Reduction does work.

73,
Mark