[TenTec] Sweep & some 160m observations

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Sweep & some 160m observations
From: Marty Ray <n9se@insightbb.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 12:52:23 -0500
I almost always have the sweep turned on...but I only really use it when the band is sparsely populated. Why, you ask, do I leave it turned on if I don't use it much of the time? I can't stand that huge blank area of the display. I know, that sounds really stupid, but it's true. When I am tuning the bands, and I look at that vacant real estate, it is actually distracting to me. I keep thinking I am missing some functionality or something. Perhaps it is just a subconscious hang-up, but it does really bug me.

I would be really happy if TT could throw something in there when the sweep is off (not that I am unhappy - see 160m report below). Perhaps they could use that area to display such things as frequently used menu data, like AGC settings. Perhaps they could put a clock display there. It just seems such a waste to have that area blank. Maybe this could be part of the "I want knobs to directly access AGC functions" solution...

160M report: I was having trouble getting to sleep last night and I checked 160 meters. Wow. It was hopping. But, I found that I had an unusually high QRN level. Someone using a bad electric blanket or something, but holy cow, it was bad. Normally, with my past rigs, I would have just shut the rig off and went back to bed. Now things are different. With the arsenal of weapons in the Orion, I was able to eliminate the noise and work a few new ones! And this was on a band filled with huge signals. Normally you can't use a noise blanker with that much noise and large nearby signals. All I had to do was tighten up the roofing filters and/or use a combination of the DSP NB and NR and I was in business!

Kudos to TT.

Regards,

Marty Ray, N9SE