Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?

To: Rick@dj0ip.de, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Omni D, Why so quiet ?
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:34:56 -0800
Rick has this right. The early OMNI rigs were not very sensitive on the low bands but the sensitivity increased with frequency. This is one very easy explanation for the "quiet" receiver characteristics. I found that if I added an outboard preselector to the OMNI-C and gave it 15 db or so, it sounded like most of my other receivers (and correspondingly, my other receivers with the RF Gain turned down a bunch would sound about as quiet as the OMNI). Under normal conditions, it was just plain reasonable to have less sensitivity on the low bands. However, for weak signals and through serious filtering, the OMNI-C would sometimes not have quite enough gain for me (couldn't get into any AGC action and weak signals would barely show up in audio) where my other receivers (namely, the Kenwood TS 440) could dig weak ones out of the mud with narrow filtering.

Bear in mind, the 440 would not have a chance if the weak signal was next to a strong one, the OMNI-C could then move in for the kill.

Receivers are fun.

Clark
WA3JPG