RE: [TenTec] ARRL Contest

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] ARRL Contest
From: "Richard Detweiler" <rdetweil@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:30:41 -0600
I would back up Tom's claims,

This also was my first DX Contest with the Orion, the OMNI-D was offline all the time because the Orion just blew away my best expectations for the Orion,

My QTH Has only a Vertical for transmit and receive, Worked every band except 80M as the vertical is set for 75M. Use the Orion barefoot. 100% Search and pounce, no CQing. Used a PC interface, and had an audio spectrograph to help visually zero beat the the stations, Didn't use a PC DSP.

Didn't make many contacts on 160M as the vertical was just too noisy, but 40M CW both Nights was wide open, Litterally everything spotted was heard and worked except south korea and hong kong,

The metal farm isn't that good, with limited space, but I was absolutely impressed with the Orion's performance in overcoming my antenna short comings,

Had another contester 1/4 mile away on 40M both nights, In the past, I could not work the same band as him, the Omni D just would quite out or distort with clicks and hum no matter where he was in the CW band. Not so with the Orion, Almost never knew he was there, For Fun once , I tried to see how close I could come up to his run frequency and QSO with DX stations. Litterally I could bump up right next to him and make the QSO, at about 2KHz I would start to notice the affect of his transmitter, but could clearly copy a weak DX down to about 3 or 4 hundered Hz. After that, He would be too strong for the notch or PBT to eliminate his signal. He was running a yaesu FT1000D, with a rotatable 40M dipole 150Ft in the air. He seemed to do all right, but I hope he isn't too upset with me approaching his frequency a few times ;) . I'll ask him later what my damage to him was...

Some things learned,

I think for me the next step is to put up some loop and sheilded loop antennas in the attic to see if I can overcome the low band noise problems.

Leave the NR and AN off, Only mess with the AGC ( wish there was an option to override the bottons, expecially the send 1-3 memory buttons for CW/SSB Voice, Used only the PC If all of us write letters to TenTec, They might listen... ).

Leave the sweep off, Had problems earlier in the week with it locking up the transmit and messing up the Antenna/VFO settings.

Sometimes I run with only the 250 Hz filter and open up the BW, Sometimes I go to Auto and use BW to narrow things down,

One time, I noticed the noise on 20M get out of hand, tried 15M and was the same. AGC and other things looked right, so Did a master reset, to my surprise, the noise dissappeard, Something got hosed in side the radio.... ( Had been playing with the NR, maybee it took over the AGC...)

By the way, this might be a reason why other stations call off frequency, Many have to use their ear to zero beat, For me being a little tone deaf, that would always put me off Frequency. That is why I use the PC Spectrograph, It nails it instantly reguardless of the radio I use.

73's
Rich
K5SF