Re: [TenTec] Inrad Omni VI Audio mod

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Omni VI Audio mod
From: Curtis Rossow <curtisa%surfbest.net@pop.surfbest.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:19:53 -0700
I have installed the mod to my Omni VI opt3. I also have the installation sheet that gives a summary of the improvements. They give some photos of band pass sweeps to show the difference in response, unfortunately the after conditions uses Inrad filters #745 and #755 in place of the stock Ten-Tec filters. My observations are only using my ears.

They say that the low end of the band pass cutoff on the stock rig is at 350 to 400 Hz at -3dB while the modified rig shows a cutoff of 250-300 Hz at the -3bd point. This is done by changing a capacitor in the PBT circuit. I like the way the modified rig sounds. You can have the old sound by adjusting the PBT frequency by tuning the PBT knob.

The other mod is to change capacitors C3 and C29 on the IF/AF board to reduce the high frequency roll off. This gives a flatter IF response. It does sound better.

They provide both leaded and surface mount caps for both the older and newer Omni's. You will use only one type.

I think that the mod is well worth the $15.00 even if there are few parts to change. The installation sheets are worth the money

Curt NU7R