RE: [TenTec] Using Orion with existing 961 PSU

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Using Orion with existing 961 PSU
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 05:25:05 +0100
Hi Tim,

The filters of the Corsair & Omni V/VI/V+ work with the ORION
(assuming they are in good working order to begin with).  I had
the Models 217/218/219 for my OMNI VI+ (of course I could only
use any two at one time).  I plugged them all into my ORION and
they worked just fine.

If you are satisfied with running the ORION at lower power
levels, then the connector you will need to attach to the 961 is
included within the bag of "goodies" that ships with the ORION.

John and Tom both addressed the PS issue.  Here is a bit more
info. The ORION really needs a 24 Amp P.S. to guarantee full
power on all bands   The current drawn by the Orion varies from
band to band and on some bands you might come close to the full
100w with the 961 (which can run up to 22A).  On others you need
more than that.  The problem I foresee is when switching bands
and keying the rig, you may often run into the problem that the
current sensor on the 961 shuts down at 22 Amps and you have to
switch the P.S. off and back on, and then reduce the Orion's
power before keying again.

The 963 would be a better choice.

73
Rick