[TenTec] Re: Using Orion with existing 961 PSU

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Using Orion with existing 961 PSU
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:14:51 +0000
I'd start out running the Orion off the 961 and see how it does. The p.s.s Ten Tec are making now are all switching supplies anyway. The 961 can handle brief high current demands so if you are at 22 A on a ssb voice peak only it should be okay. cw probably a different story. i fail to understand why the orion pulls 24 A when it has (I'm told) the same p.a. as the jupiter in it. does the jupiter draw that much? news to me. I run a ts850 off a 961 and I have pretty much disabled the ALC in the 850 to better drive my centurion (amp sometimes needs a little bit more than 100w). the 850 is now capable of peaking out at around 150 w. if I'm not careful but it does not trip off the 961. those are really good power supplies. too bad they quit making them.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ

P.S. Keep your dc cable to the rig as short as possible--24" or so--more than stock length and you will have voltage drop problems.