(Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Orion: STEP control

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: (Fwd) Re: [TenTec] Orion: STEP control
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:18:19 -0600
> Common SSB tuning rates are 10-25 kHz per revolution,
> giving ~4-10 channels per revolution. But with Orion's
> encoders this calls for 100 Hz steps, which is too coarse.

Just a bit of context.

I've never owned a radio that couldn't have been made "better".  Of
course, with the a small number of exceptions, the other guys pretty
much can't help you out if you don't like something, so I suspect
that's why T-T gets pounded so hard.

Many changes and suggestions have a "personal preference" flavor ...
the radio isn't what we're used to or what is "common", therefore
something is wrong (?).   Some suggestions for improvement  that are
made, including some I've made from time to time, may not be suitable
for everyone.  As in the example from the previous post,  I find the
"common" tuning rate of 10-25Khz per revolution for SSB far too fast
for my taste at any step size.  So the "substandard" encoder in the
Orion works just fine for me :-)

There are also varying opinions and user findings on the use of
THRESHOLD and it's overall effect, etc., so it isn't at all clear that
the jury is in on this or other topics yet or that anyone has the
universe of definitive answers.

No suggestion is a bad suggestion if someone thinks it works. But I
recall a couple of user driven changes (minor things, menu locations,
things that survived a reset, etc.) that made it into the radio early
after the initial release that I found very inconvenient once they
unexpectedly turned up in a FW update.

I for one hope that T-T takes a very measured and conservative
approach to making any kind of significant changes in control
structure or the user interface.

Grant/NQ5T